Friday, November 7, 2008

Personal Meaning in Mindless TV

So after a fun filled, action filled, business trip, I am happy to be back home, with my little man and looking forward to sleeping in my own bed, with my own pillow! And though I could probably hit the sack, it's just now around 8 and a little too early to go to sleep now -- not to mention, Super G will pitch a fit. I'm just not up for the fight. So Super G plays games on my computer, I watch a TIVO-ed episode of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.
Celebrity Rehab is the newest on my list of mindless TV, shows I can watch with out really watching. And it's a fabulous train wreck, I mean seriously, these folks that really have so much, great fortune, great talent... or maybe just great luck. Yet they manage to totally screw themselves in ways that are pretty unbelievable. And I find myself thinking wow, how stupid are these people. And you know, you can't fix stupid. But then I think a little more...
My boss and I have had a conversation a few times about how we have it all together, yet... the one thing we can't seem to get a grip on is our food/fat issues. And you know... that's my celebrity rehab moment.
I know I'm messing myself up, I know I need to get healthier, I know I need to do it for my family, for my Super Griff, for myself. I want to be healthier, I know I'll feel better. I want to look smart, sharp and look good for my appearance on the Today show (not that it's going to happen, but a girl can dream). Yet... I can't seem to manage it -- or can't for that long.
I get tired, I lose the will, I get overwhelmed by the weight I need to lose - it's too big, and then poof, it's over. And then I'm in the drive through at Micky D's ordering breakfast.
So these great talents - yet they pee all over all they have... how stupid??? Well, look at all I have, a great husband who loves me silly and makes me laugh, a brilliant, funny adorable little boy, a great house, an amazing job and I'm accomplishing SO much! Yet... I still am peeing all over myself.
I suppose we all have a need for our own Celebrity Rehab... they're not so different. Maybe I too can change.... or do we all just keep using?

No comments: